Associate Professor Ooi is an academic ENT surgeon scientist who believes in providing the best care for his patients based on the latest research evidence, and personal clinical experience. He runs several major research projects through his private practice, Flinders Medical Centre, and Flinders University. His PhD in research and role as Head of ENT at Flinders Medical Centre strengthens the care he offers patients in his private practice.
He has research interests in chronic sinusitis, advanced endoscopic sinus surgery, developing a blood test to detect tonsil, head and neck cancer, NHMRC trial of UPPP and Coblation tongue channeling for OSA, use of lasers and surgical simulation to improve surgical training.
Associate Professor Eng Ooi ORCID
Research Gate Eng Ooi
Publons peer reviewer service
- Associate Professor Eng Ooi and Associate Professor Suren Krishnan: Tonsillectomy using the BiZact: A pilot study in 186 children and adults (accepted 17 December 2018)
- Gastrostomy tube insertion outcomes in South Australian head and neck cancer patients (accepted by Australian Journal of Otolaryngology)
- Myringoplasty outcomes of Indigenous Australians in the West Kimberley region of Western Australia (accepted by Australian Journal of Otolaryngology).
- Redefining indications for panendoscopy in the work up of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma (Accepted by Journal of Laryngology and Otology)
- Endoscopic smartphone adaptors in Otolaryngology: How do they compare? (accepted by Clinical Otolaryngology) 2018
- A systematic review of validated sinus surgery simulators, Clinical Otolaryngology 43(3): 812-822, June 2018
- Pathophysiology of swallowing following oropharyngeal surgery for obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome. Investigators: (accepted by Neurogastroenterology & Motility) 2018
- Penetrating neck injuries: An up to date guide to evaluation and management, 100(1): 6-11, 2018 Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons (England) Journal & Bulletin Journal.
- Benjamin Stew and Eng Ooi (2017). The Role of Simulation in Endoscopic Sinus Surgery Training, Paranasal Sinuses, InTech, Available from: https://www.intechopen.com/books/paranasal-sinuses/the-role-of-simulation-in-endoscopic-sinus-surgery-training
- Cost analysis of injection laryngoplasty under local anaesthesia versus general anaesthesia: An Australian perspective. Journal of Laryngology and Otology, 2017
- Systematic review of patient reported outcomes following revision endoscopic sinus surgery. Am J Rhinol Allergy 2017
- Validity of the NSQIP risk calculator in patients undergoing glossectomy in South Australia. Journal of Laryngology and Otology, 2017
- Survival outcomes following salvage surgery for oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma: A systematic review. Journal of Laryngology and Otology, 2017
- Scoping review of pediatric tonsillectomy quality of life instruments. Laryngoscope, 2017
- Paediatric tonsillectomy quality of life assessment instruments: A scoping review protocol. JBI Database of Systematic Reviews and Implementation Reports, 2017.
- Hyaluronic acid for post sinus surgery care: A systematic review and meta-analysis Journal of Laryngology and Otology, 131 (S1): S2-S11, 2017.
- A comparative study of voice outcomes and complication rates in patients undergoing injection laryngoplasty (IL) under local versus general anaesthesia: An Adelaide Voice Specialists experience. Journal of Laryngology and Otology, 131 (S1): S41-S46.
- Swallowing outcomes following primary surgical resection and primary free flap reconstruction for oral and oropharynx squamous cell carcinoma: A systematic review Laryngoscope, 126 (7): 1572-80, 2016
- The effect of nasal irrigation formulation on the antimicrobial activity of nasal secretions. International Forum of Allergy and Rhinology, 5(12): 1104-1100, 2015
- Swallowing outcomes following primary surgical resection and primary free flap reconstruction for oral and oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinomas: a systematic review protocol, JBI Database of Systematic Reviews and Implementation Reports [2015, 13(8):120-134
- Comparing surgical experience with performance on a sinus surgery simulator. ANZ J of Surgery, 86(12): 990-995, 2015.
- Surgical management of airway stenosis by radiofrequency coblation. Journal of Laryngology and Otology 129 Suppl 1: S21-6, 2015.
- Validation of virtual reality based simulations for endoscopic sinus surgery. Clinical Otolaryngology 40(6): 569-579, 2015.
- A randomized control trial of a middle meatal silastic stent in reducing adhesions in endoscopic sinus surgery. International Forum of Allergy & Rhinology 5(6): 524-532, 2015.
- Coping with catastrophe: How vascular injury training improves patient outcomes. International Forum of Allergy & Rhinology 5(3): 247-252, 2015.
- Aquaporin expression profiles in normal sinonasal mucosa and chronic rhinosinusitis. International Forum of Allergy & Rhinology 4(11): 901-8, 2014.
- Fungicidal activity of lysozyme is inhibited in vitro by commercial sinus irrigation solutions. American Journal of Allergy and Rhinology 26(4): 298-301, 2012.
- Endoscopic surgery of skull base chordomas. J Neurosurg 73(6): 379-386, 2012.
- Lysozyme expression is increased in the sinus mucosa of patients with chronic rhinosinusitis. Rhinology 50(2): 147-56, 2012.
- The effect of Low-Fidelity Endoscopic Sinus Surgery Simulators on Surgical Skill. International Forum of Allergy & Rhinology 2012, 2(1): 20-6.
- Absence of Helicobacter pylori in pediatric adenoid hyperplasia. Archives of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery 137(10): 998-1004, 2011.
- Human lysozyme has fungicidal activity against nasal fungi, American Journal of Allergy and Rhinology 25(4): 236-240, 2011.
- An alternative management approach to paranasal sinus fibro-osseous lesions. Int Forum Allergy Rhinol 2011, Jan 1 (1): 55-63.
- Intralesional corticosteroid injection and dilatation provides effective management of subglottic stenosis in Wegener’s granulomatosis. Laryngoscope 120(12): 2452-5, 2010.
- Adenoid cystic carcinoma of the pterygopalatine fossa presenting as facial pain. Journal of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery 39(5): E37-8, 2010.
- Rhinologic surgical training. Otolaryngology Clinics of North America 43(3): 673-89, 2010.
- Innate immunity. Otolaryngology Clinics of North America 43(3): 473-87, 2010.
- Immunomodulatory effect of cytosine-phosphate-guanosine (CpG)-oligonucleotides in nonasthmatic chronic rhinosinusitis: an explant model. Am J Rhinol Allergy 2009 23(2): 123-9.
- Canine fossa trephine for the severely diseased maxillary sinus. American Journal of Allergy and Rhinology 2009 23(6): 615-8.
- Innate immunity in the paranasal sinuses: A review of nasal host defences. Am J Rhinol 22:13-19, 2007.
- Nasal mucosa expression of lactoferrin in patients with chronic rhinosinusitis. Laryngoscope 2007, 117(11): 2030-5, 2007.
- Human cathelicidin antimicrobial peptide is upregulated in the eosinophilic mucus subgroup of chronic rhinosinusitis patients. American Journal of Rhinology 2007, 21(4): 395-401.
- Fungal allergens induce cathelicidin LL-37 expression in chronic rhinosinusitis patients in a nasal explant model. American Journal of Rhinology 2007, 21(3): 367-372.
- Responses of peripheral blood lymphocytes in fungal extracts and staphylococcal superantigen B in chronic rhinosinusitis Laryngoscope 2007, 117(3): 411-4.
- Surfactant protein D expression in chronic rhinosinusitis patients and immune responses in vitro to Aspergillus and Alternaria in a nasal explant model. Laryngoscope 2007; 117(1): 51-57.
- Th2 immunological inflammation in allergic fungal sinusitis, nonallergic eosinophilic fungal sinusitis, and chronic rhinosinusitis. Am J Rhinol 20: 145-149, 2006.
- Persistent buccopharyngeal membrane in an adult. International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial surgery 2005June; 34(4): 446-448.
- Management of lateral sinus thrombosis: update and literature review. Journal of Laryngology and Otology 2003Dec; 117(12): 932-9.
- Endoscopic removal of sinonasal inverted papilloma including endoscopic medial maxillectomy. Laryngoscope 2003; 111: 867-873.
- Colon Ischaemia from a Stammers hernia: A long-term complication after Billroth II gastrectomy. Anz J Surg2002; 72(8): 601-603.
- Effects of nitroglycerin on liquid gastric emptying and antropyloroduodenal motility. Am J Physiol 1998 Nov; 275(5 Pt 1): G1173-8.