Associate Professor Ooi is an academic ENT surgeon scientist who believes in providing the best care for his patients based on the latest research evidence, and personal clinical experience. He runs several major research projects through his private practice, Flinders Medical Centre, and Flinders University. His PhD in research and role as Head of ENT at Flinders Medical Centre strengthens the care he offers patients in his private practice.
He has research interests in chronic sinusitis, advanced endoscopic sinus surgery, developing a blood test to detect tonsil, head and neck cancer, NHMRC trial of UPPP and Coblation tongue channeling for OSA, use of lasers and surgical simulation to improve surgical training.
Associate Professor Eng Ooi ORCID
Research Gate Eng Ooi
Publons peer reviewer service
- Trans-oral robotic surgery for head and neck cancers using the Medrobotics Flex system: The Adelaide cohort. Olaye O, Jeong B, Switajewski M, Ooi, E, Krishnan S, Foreman A, Hodge JC. Accepted by Journal of Robotic Surgery (15/6/21)
- Health related quality of life T-14 outcomes for pediatric BiZact tonsillectomy. Stepan L, Huang L, Huynh J, Xie P, Woods CM, Ooi EH Medicina 2021, 57, 480.
- Altered swallow biomechanics in people with moderate-severe obstructive sleep apnoea. Schar MS, Omari T, Woods CW, Ferris L, Doeltgen S, Lushington K, Kontos A, Athanasiadis T, Cock C, Chai-Coetzer CL, Eckert D, Ooi, EH. Journal of clinical sleep medicine (accepted for publication 18/03/21).
- Effect of Multilevel Upper Airway Surgery vs Medical Management on the Apnea-Hypopnea Index and Patient-Reported Daytime Sleepiness among patients with moderate or severe obstructive sleep apnea: The SAMS randomized clinical trial. Stuart MacKay, A. Simon Carney, Peter G. Catchside, Ching Li Chai-Coetzer MD, PhD, Michael Chia MD, Peter Cistulli MD, PhD, John-Charles Hodge MD, Andrew Jones MD, Billingsley Kaambwa PhD, Richard Lewis MD, Eng H. Ooi MD, PhD, Alison Pinczel PhD, Nigel McArdle MD, Guy Rees MD, Bhajan Singh MD, PhD, Nicholas Stow MD, Edward M. Weaver MD, MPH, Richard J Woodman PhD, Charmaine M. Woods PhD, Aeneas Yeo MD, PhD, R. Doug McEvoy MD. JAMA 4/9/20
- Breath methane to hydrogen ratio as a surrogate marker of intestinal dysbiosis in head and neck cancer. Nuwan Dharmawardana, Thomas Goddard, Eng H. Ooi, C.M. Woods, David Watson, Ross Butler, and Roger Yazbek. Scientific Reports 10, 15010 (2020) 1038/s41598-020-72115-2 https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-72115-2#citeas
- The development of a mon-invasive exhaled breath test for the diagnosis of head and neck cancer. N. Dharmawardana, T. Goddard, C.M. Woods, D. Watson, E.H. Ooi, R. Yazbek. British Journal of Cancer 9/9/20 page 1-7 DOI: 1038/s41416-020-01051-9 https://www.nature.com/articles/s41416-020-01051-9.
- Psychometric testing of the Skull Base Inventory Quality of life Questionnaire in a Multi-Institutional Prospective Cohort Study of Patients Undergoing Open and Endoscopic Skull Base Surgery. David Forner MD, Katrina Hueniken BSc MPH, Tom Yoannidis, Ian Witterick, Eric Monteiro, Gelareh Zadeh, Patrick Gullane, Carl Snyderman, Eric Wang, Paul Gardner, Benita Valappil, Dan Fliss, Barak Ringel, Ziv Gil, Shorook Na’ara, Eng H. Ooi, David Goldstein, Nidal Muhanna, Fred Gentili, John R. de Almeida. Quality of Life Research (published 26/08/2020) https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11136-020-02609-z
Cross validated serum small extracellular vesicle microRNAs for the detection of oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma. Mayne GC, Woods CM, Dharmawardana N, Wang T, Krishnan S, Hodge JC, Foreman A, Boase S, Carney AS, Sigston EAW, Watson DI, Ooi EH*, Hussey DJ* (* = co-senior
authors) Journal of Translational Medicine 2020 July 10, 18(1): 280 https://translational-medicine.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12967-020-02446-1
- Is there a role for up to date imaging in patients awaiting sinus surgery? Australian Journal of Otolaryngology 2020; 3:7
- Factors associated with paediatric revision adenoidectomy: The Flinders experience. Australian Journal of Otolaryngology 2020; 3:9
- A review of breath analysis techniques in Head and Neck Cancer. Nuwan Dharmawardana, Charmaine Woods, David Watson, Roger Yazbek*, Eng H. Ooi* (*co-senior authors). Oral Oncology March 19; 104: 104654
- National Surgical Quality Improvement Program (NSQIP) risk calculator validity in South Australian laryngectomy patients. (accepted by ANZ Journal of Surgery on 23/02/20)
- Accuracy of core needle biopsy compared to fine needle biopsy for the diagnosis of neoplasm in patients with suspected head and neck cancers: a systematic review protocol of diagnostic test accuracy. JBI Database System Rev Implement Rep 2020 Jan 8 doi: 10.11124/JBISRIR-D-19-00225 [Epub ahead of print]
- Prognosis of oral scc with perineural invasion: A comparative study of classification types. Clinical Otolaryngology 2020 45(1): 99-105
- A review of the use of transnasal humidified rapid insufflation ventilatory exchange for patients undergoing surgery in the shared airway setting. Journal of Anesthesia 2020 Feb 34(1): 134-143
- Role of biologics in Chronic Rhinosinusitis: A systematic review. International Forum of Allergy and Rhinology 2020 Feb 10(2): 165-174
- Examining the evidence for an adult healthy middle ear microbiome. mSphere Sept 4; 4(5): pii e00456-19
- Manuka Honey sinus irrigations in recalcitrant chronic rhinosinusitis: Phase 1 Randomised double blinded placebo controlled trial. International Forum of Allergy and Rhinology 2019 Dec; 9(12): 1470-1477
- Effectiveness of endoscopic versus external surgical approaches in the treatment of orbital complications of rhinosinusitis: a systematic review protocol. JBI Database System Rev Implement Rep 2019 17(11): 2378-2389.
- The use of Selected Ion Flow Tube-Mass Spectrometry technology to identify breath volatile organic compounds for the detection of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma: A pilot study. Medicina 2019, 55, 306
- Halitosis and pain post electrocautery adenoidectomy. 55(6): 312; Medicina 2019
- The use of transnasal humidified rapid-insufflation ventilatory exchange in laryngeal and pharyngeal surgery: The Flinders case series. Australian Journal of Otolaryngology 2019; 2:17
- Circulating microRNAs in Head and Neck Cancer: A scoping review of methods. Clinical and Experimental Metastasis Jun; 36(3): 291-302
- Transoral robotic surgery using the MedRobotic Flex system: the Adelaide experience. J Robotic Surgery 2020: Feb; 14(1): 109-113
- Outcomes using the T-14 symptom score for tonsillectomy in an Australian Paediatric population. Australian Journal of Otolaryngology 2019; 2:2
- Tonsillectomy using the BiZact: A pilot study in 186 children and adults Associate Professor Eng Ooi and Associate Professor Suren Krishnan 44 (3): 392:396, May 2019
- Management of post tonsillectomy secondary haemorrhage: Flinders experience. Australian Journal of Otolaryngology 2018; 1: 31
- Gastrostomy tube insertion outcomes in South Australian head and neck cancer patients. Australian Journal of Otolaryngology 2018, 1:21
- Myringoplasty outcomes of Indigenous Australians in the West Kimberley region of Western Australia. Australian Journal of Otolaryngology 2018; 1:18.
- Redefining indications for panendoscopy in the work up of head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Journal of Laryngology and Otology 2018 Oct; 132(10): 901-905
- Endoscopic smartphone adaptors in Otolaryngology: How do they compare? Clinical Otolaryngology July 43(6): 1599-1602, 2018
- A systematic review of validated sinus surgery simulators, Clinical Otolaryngology 43(3): 812-822, June 2018
- Pathophysiology of swallowing following oropharyngeal surgery for obstructive sleep apnoea syndrome. Neurogastroenterology & Motility 2018 30(5): e13277
- Penetrating neck injuries: An up to date guide to evaluation and management, 100(1): 6-11, 2018 Annals of the Royal College of Surgeons (England) Journal & Bulletin Journal.
- Benjamin Stew and Eng Ooi (2017). The Role of Simulation in Endoscopic Sinus Surgery Training, Paranasal Sinuses, InTech, Available from: https://www.intechopen.com/books/paranasal-sinuses/the-role-of-simulation-in-endoscopic-sinus-surgery-training
- Cost analysis of injection laryngoplasty under local anaesthesia versus general anaesthesia: An Australian perspective. Journal of Laryngology and Otology, 132 (2): 168-72, 2018
- Systematic review of patient reported outcomes following revision endoscopic sinus surgery. Am J Rhinol Allergy 31(4): 248-255, 2017
- Validity of the American College of Surgeons National Surgical Quality Improvement Program risk calculator in South Australian glossectomy patients. Journal of Laryngology and Otology 2018
- Survival outcomes following salvage surgery for oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma: A systematic review. Journal of Laryngology and Otology, 132(4): 299-313, 2017
- Scoping review of pediatric tonsillectomy quality of life instruments. 127(10): 2399-2406, Laryngoscope, 2017
- Paediatric tonsillectomy quality of life assessment instruments: A scoping review protocol. JBI Database of Systematic Reviews and Implementation Reports, 2017.
- Hyaluronic acid for post sinus surgery care: A systematic review and meta-analysis Journal of Laryngology and Otology, 131 (S1): S2-S11, 2017.
- A comparative study of voice outcomes and complication rates in patients undergoing injection laryngoplasty (IL) under local versus general anaesthesia: An Adelaide Voice Specialists experience. Journal of Laryngology and Otology, 131 (S1): S41-S46.
- Swallowing outcomes following primary surgical resection and primary free flap reconstruction for oral and oropharynx squamous cell carcinoma: A systematic review Laryngoscope, 126 (7): 1572-80, 2016
- The effect of nasal irrigation formulation on the antimicrobial activity of nasal secretions. International Forum of Allergy and Rhinology, 5(12): 1104-1100, 2015
- Swallowing outcomes following primary surgical resection and primary free flap reconstruction for oral and oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinomas: a systematic review protocol, JBI Database of Systematic Reviews and Implementation Reports [2015, 13(8):120-134
- Comparing surgical experience with performance on a sinus surgery simulator. ANZ J of Surgery, 86(12): 990-995, 2015.
- Surgical management of airway stenosis by radiofrequency coblation. Journal of Laryngology and Otology 129 Suppl 1: S21-6, 2015.
- Validation of virtual reality based simulations for endoscopic sinus surgery. Clinical Otolaryngology 40(6): 569-579, 2015.
- A randomized control trial of a middle meatal silastic stent in reducing adhesions in endoscopic sinus surgery. International Forum of Allergy & Rhinology 5(6): 524-532, 2015.
- Coping with catastrophe: How vascular injury training improves patient outcomes. International Forum of Allergy & Rhinology 5(3): 247-252, 2015.
- Aquaporin expression profiles in normal sinonasal mucosa and chronic rhinosinusitis. International Forum of Allergy & Rhinology 4(11): 901-8, 2014.
- Fungicidal activity of lysozyme is inhibited in vitro by commercial sinus irrigation solutions. American Journal of Allergy and Rhinology 26(4): 298-301, 2012.
- Tumour-specific strategies: Chordoma published in the book, Interdisciplinary Endonasal Endoscopic Surgery of Skull Base Tumours (Thieme TN154761) editors Wolfgang Draf, Ulrike Bockmuhl, Ricardo L Carrau, Amin Kassam, and Peter Vajkoczy
- Endoscopic surgery of skull base chordomas. J Neurosurg 73(6): 379-386, 2012.
- Lysozyme expression is increased in the sinus mucosa of patients with chronic rhinosinusitis. Rhinology 50(2): 147-56, 2012.
- The effect of Low-Fidelity Endoscopic Sinus Surgery Simulators on Surgical Skill. International Forum of Allergy & Rhinology 2012, 2(1): 20-6.
- Absence of Helicobacter pylori in pediatric adenoid hyperplasia. Archives of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery 137(10): 998-1004, 2011.
- Human lysozyme has fungicidal activity against nasal fungi, American Journal of Allergy and Rhinology 25(4): 236-240, 2011.
- An alternative management approach to paranasal sinus fibro-osseous lesions. Int Forum Allergy Rhinol 2011, Jan 1 (1): 55-63.
- Intralesional corticosteroid injection and dilatation provides effective management of subglottic stenosis in Wegener’s granulomatosis. Laryngoscope 120(12): 2452-5, 2010.
- Adenoid cystic carcinoma of the pterygopalatine fossa presenting as facial pain. Journal of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery 39(5): E37-8, 2010.
- Rhinologic surgical training. Otolaryngology Clinics of North America 43(3): 673-89, 2010.
- Innate immunity. Otolaryngology Clinics of North America 43(3): 473-87, 2010.
- E.H. Ooi, I.J. Witterick. How to interpret CT sinus scans for primary care physicians. Allergy & Asthma: A Canadian review for primary care physicians 2010
- Immunomodulatory effect of cytosine-phosphate-guanosine (CpG)-oligonucleotides in nonasthmatic chronic rhinosinusitis: an explant model. Am J Rhinol Allergy 2009 23(2): 123-9.
- Canine fossa trephine for the severely diseased maxillary sinus. American Journal of Allergy and Rhinology 2009 23(6): 615-8.
- Innate immunity in the paranasal sinuses: A review of nasal host defences. Am J Rhinol 22:13-19, 2007.
- Nasal mucosa expression of lactoferrin in patients with chronic rhinosinusitis. Laryngoscope 2007, 117(11): 2030-5, 2007.
- Human cathelicidin antimicrobial peptide is upregulated in the eosinophilic mucus subgroup of chronic rhinosinusitis patients. American Journal of Rhinology 2007, 21(4): 395-401.
- Fungal allergens induce cathelicidin LL-37 expression in chronic rhinosinusitis patients in a nasal explant model. American Journal of Rhinology 2007, 21(3): 367-372.
- Responses of peripheral blood lymphocytes in fungal extracts and staphylococcal superantigen B in chronic rhinosinusitis Laryngoscope 2007, 117(3): 411-4.
- Surfactant protein D expression in chronic rhinosinusitis patients and immune responses in vitro to Aspergillus and Alternaria in a nasal explant model. Laryngoscope 2007; 117(1): 51-57.
- Th2 immunological inflammation in allergic fungal sinusitis, nonallergic eosinophilic fungal sinusitis, and chronic rhinosinusitis. Am J Rhinol 20: 145-149, 2006.
- Persistent buccopharyngeal membrane in an adult. International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial surgery 2005June; 34(4): 446-448.
- Management of lateral sinus thrombosis: update and literature review. Journal of Laryngology and Otology 2003Dec; 117(12): 932-9.
- Endoscopic removal of sinonasal inverted papilloma including endoscopic medial maxillectomy. Laryngoscope 2003; 111: 867-873.
- Colon Ischaemia from a Stammers hernia: A long-term complication after Billroth II gastrectomy. Anz J Surg2002; 72(8): 601-603.
- Effects of nitroglycerin on liquid gastric emptying and antropyloroduodenal motility. Am J Physiol 1998 Nov; 275(5 Pt 1): G1173-8.